"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to ACT"...Proverbs 24:12
















Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chickens!




Yes it's true...the Turner's have chickens :)
Random thing I know, Mike's cousin was trying to give some of her's away because she had too many and I thought, "Why not? Fresh organic eggs every day, Outdoor pets, fun experience for kids..."
We picked up our 2 girls tonight, they are 8 months old and they should lay an egg almost every day. They were at the bottom of the pecking order in their bunch- they are our little underdog runts...one of them is very scared and lost most of her feathers from all the pecks...we hope for some new feathers soon :)
Mike now has another project on his list...a chicken coop. While the hens are waiting for their 'quaters' they are in a large dog crate in the garage.
We let them roam the yard for a while and they were so cute pecking away for worms.
The kids are so excited...after dinner they brought books out to read to the chickens and to say goodnight. Jacob is now asking for a rooster- he was mad when he found out the chickens were girls.
Hoping for some fresh scrambeld eggs in the morning...(ok that kind of grosses me out but hopefuly I will get over it.)
All we need is a dairy cow and some sheep :)

4 comments:

Sarah Torchio said...

LOL Wow, that was random!!! haha I don't think I could picture you cleaning out a chicken coop! lol How the heck did you get them back in the crate after letting them roam outside? I'd have no clue what to do! lol

Jocelyn Barker said...

Ha! How fun! I love Sova's face in the pic in the back-yard!!

The Turner's said...

I, Jill Turner, picked up the chickens! One tried to fly while I was holding it-Im still a bit scared of them- they dont trust us yet but I've read that they make great pets that follow you around and come when they are called by their own names!
And by the way...Jacob is now old enough for some 'serious' chores...I'm thinking the coup? ;)

Sarah Torchio said...

hahahaha That's a great idea!!! I can't believe you actually picked them up yourself!! :)